Making the decision to have a child is momentous. It is to decide forever to have your heart go walking around outside your body.

Wednesday 16 June 2010

It's a hard life...

I'm sitting her listening to music on a beautiful summers day, the sun is streaming in the window and keeping me warm as I lie on the bed. In lieu of a garden this is where I like to sit and enjoy the sunshine plus it's better for my skin...no suncream required! I have a rare few hours of child-free time, whilst Emily spends the afternoon with her grandparents. 

In these moments of peace I have time to rejuvenate and idly pass the time like I once used to. I could be downstairs hoovering the hall or doing the washing up but I honestly can't be bothered today.  It struck me, what did I do with all my time before Emily? I must have had an abundance of moments like these, when I wasn't working? How did I fill those moments? Now I can barely remember last week, let alone what my life was like BM (before Motherhood). 

Now all I want to do when I am alone is sleep so I have enough energy to continue to do what I need to do. Although being honest I have always been a fan of sleep, give me a big comfy bed and I will gladly crawl into it, snuggle down and drift off. It's just now the need is so much more now than it ever was before.

The problem with being a parent is that you spend the first year or so not being able to sleep because your little one is keeping you up half the night and the moment you finally master the art of getting them to sleep through you can't sleep yourself. You spend ridiculous amounts of time trying to get off to sleep and once asleep you keep waking every few hours wondering why they haven't woke up?! Arrgghhh!!!

All this talk of sleep in making me tired so I think I might have to indulge in a little nap now.

No comments:

Post a Comment