Making the decision to have a child is momentous. It is to decide forever to have your heart go walking around outside your body.

Sunday 5 September 2010

Extremely dangerous. Keep out of reach of children.

"Fifi and the flowers grow, Fifi forget me not, Fifi it's a lovely day, Fifi, Fifi grows."
 Well someone was working hard when they sat down to write that little ditty weren't they!

Children toy's are the bane of any parents existence. The person/people that design them take some of the most innane, annoying, repeative music and put them into toys. Toys with bright colours and flashing lights that are designed to entice children into playing with them and repeatly pressing that button, again and again and again and again until you can't bear it anymore! "I can't do I tell you, I cannot listen to that terrible electronic version of 'Old Macdonald' any longer." you scream as you race across the room, rip the toy from your unsuspecting child's hand and launch it through the open window...oh no that's just me then?! No in reality my choice of solution is much simplier, turn it off. Because that is the one, redeaming feature of these toys, it is the toy manufactuers saving grace, the OFF switch.

So when a friend of mine recently came for a visit, having just made a visit to the grandparents to celebrate his son's 1st birthday. His partner turns to me, fake smile plastered to her face, a hint of sarcasm in her voice and tells me,

"James parents have bought Jacob a huge child-size toy train, that moves on it own, plays music and makes lots of interesting sounds" to which I reply
"Oh how lovely, hours of fun!"
"hummm yes, fun, right...oh and guess what?"  
"What?"
"There's no OFF switch!"
"NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO"

 

No comments:

Post a Comment